Sunday, August 07, 2005

Turning 18, and Why I'm Looking Forward to School

Greetings, fellow citizens of the confused Earth; it is I, your guide to ideas and concepts no man should ever ponder for more than five seconds, let alone publish online for all the world to read. 48 minutes ago (or more specifically, 11:41 a.m. Monday morning) I turned (will turn) 18 years of age; meaning I can now legally vote for people who never do their jobs, go to strip clubs without drinking booze, and consider many of you jailbait (not that I find you attractive).

I signed up for the Selective Service this evening--gave me chills, it did, thinking about my name going on some registry of war-ripe young men that 'Dubya can drool over while putting a red push pin in Denmark. Tomorrow I get my license renewed and finalized (I think, don't know much about all that). Though legally an adult, I will continue to mooch off my parents well into the time I'm settled with Mal in Alberta.

School is almost here, boys and girls. Some of you will remain trapped in this rural hell for a number more years, while others will be departing for the eternally-taxed bliss of life beyond the redundancy of required P.E. Some of you I hope to see again, others...the ellipse speaks for itself. Yes, I intend to leave this country after graduation--and yes, potentially give allegiance to Queen Elizabeth II. My reasons are few and complex--some romantic, others political. When the time comes, if you like me enough you can go to the trouble of finding my new address on your own. It's been fun, but I hope this year passes quickly. Sure, the future is uncertain and potentially frightful--but to go back is to endure further years under Bush, boredom, and life without the person I most desire to be with indefinitely.

Truly, it was the best and worst of times.

A shout out to Mike and his new fish. Another to Brittney for the sexy new hair style. And another to Justin who seriously needs to get off his intellectual ass and give us more A-material on that swanky blog of his. Might be a Writer's Club forming this next year--I know I'll join, will -you-?

3 Comments:

Blogger Britts* said...

woot, i've been shouted out to! -and- had my hair called sexy...in the same day!...i'm never washing my eyes again!

6:05 PM  
Blogger Mikey06 said...

Ok, so i didn't go to bed. I just signed off of msn.
Thanks for the shout. I could join the writing club- sounds like fun. I do not promise anything outstand, but it will be creative.


God bless John.

10:09 PM  
Blogger Mithrandir said...

God bless John, indeed.

10:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home